Homemade Arrabbiata Sauce
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can San Marzano peeled whole tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and red pepper flakes in hot oil until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking until the garlic begins to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour tomatoes into the saucepan and stir; add basil. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are breaking down, 30 to 40 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
This sauce freezes well so why not make a double batch?
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
This arrabbiata sauce was excellent! I used organic tomatoes instead of San Marzano, I can only image how they taste with those tomatoes. Also loved the hints of basil, so good.