Zucchini Coconut Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1-½ pounds zucchini, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups vegetable stock, boiling
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- season with salt
- To serve:
- mint leaves, whole or chopped
- balsamic syrup
- drizzle yogurt or crème fraîche
- freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring often until lightly golden, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cook for another 5 minutes. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until tender, about 17 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender, add the coconut milk and blend until smooth, thinning out with water if needed. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
- Return the soup to the pot and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve right away with mint, balsamic syrup, and yogurt or crème fraîche.
To make this soup vegan, use coconut oil instead of butter.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
I really enjoyed this soup! Not a huge coconut fan, but the taste was surprisingly delicious when paired with the zucchini. The garlicky flavors really set it off for me. Well done!
Caro Hodgin says:
i found that the zucchini was tender after just 12 to 15 minutes, making this recipe even quicker and easier! I saved a little coconut milk and just drizzled that over top of mine.