Sesame Butter Chicken and Veggies
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 carrots, sliced thin on the bias
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Fry carrots, onion, and garlic in hot oil until tender, 4 to 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir kale into the carrot mixture and cook to wilt slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour water over the mixture and cook until water evaporates and kale is completely wilted, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Turn off heat and stir rice vinegar through the vegetable mixture; transfer to a bowl.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high until shimmering. sauté chicken in oil until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir butter, soy sauce, and sesame oil with the chicken; sauté for 1 minute; add the veggies and cook to reheat the vegetables, 2 to 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
Spinach or cut up bok choy would be a great alternative to the kale.
What others are saying
frances thomas says:
I swapped the soy sauce for tamari for GF option and liked how light and fresh this dish was. It didn't necessarily blow me away for flavor or originality, but then again I was looking for simple and it delivered. Easy weeknight dish for the whole fam and good for leftovers as well.
Tarragon Boi says:
This was a really simple, light stir fry. I personally love cooking with kale, so this was a great recipe for me.
Tal Levitas says:
It's a good and quick summery weeknight dish. I used about 12 ounces of baby spinach instead of kale which I didn't have at home. It was waterier than the video, but spinach releases a lot of water when you cook it so I don't think that was the recipe's fault.
Steve Failows says:
nice and light summer stir fry - the kale was good but I'll definitely try swapping in bok choy next time. Also, wild rice would make a great compliment to this dish.