Simple Roast Chicken
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 lemons, halved
- 2 whole garlic bulbs, halved across the cloves
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 5 fresh sage sprigs
- Add salt and sugar to a large pot with 1 cup water and boil until the sugar is dissolved. Add cold water and whole chicken. Refrigerate for 24 hours before roasting chicken.
- Preheat oven to 450° F (235° C).
- Place chicken breast-side down in a large cast-iron skillet or roasting pan. Rub olive oil over the skin and inside cavity of chicken; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Stuff 2 lemon halves, 2 garlic halves, rosemary, thyme, and sage into the chicken’s cavity.
- Tie legs together with kitchen twine (use unflavored dental floss if twine is unavailable). Arrange remaining lemon and garlic in the skillet around the chicken.
- Roast until the juices run clear when you poke a knife into the joint between the thigh and the leg, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Let the chicken rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before carving.
Save the giblets and carcass to make an amazing broth by placing it in cold water and boiling it to a medium simmer for 2 hours with some mirepoix: carrots, celery, and onion!
What others are saying
Tarragon Boi says:
This recipe was simple and perfect. It's really the best way to eat chicken. I make roast chicken about once per week, because I can always figure out something to do with the leftovers. The carcass makes for the best chicken stock
Tal Levitas says:
So simple, so juicy! So delicious. Crispy skin. Delicious. Did I mention delicious. The easiest, most perfect chicken recipe. BAM!
Steve Failows says:
so simple, so good - skin was delicious with a nice crispness to it, and the meat was juicy from the first cut. looking forward to the next opportunity to whip this up for some friends.
Melissa Hunter says:
So easy to make, fall off the bone, tender meat, and so much flavor with all the herbs and spices. I plan to make this weekly now. It's just me, so I use the chicken for my meal prep throughout the week.
McKenzie C says:
Such an easy recipe! I did also used red onion along with the garlic. Perfect, tender meat that's convenient to make ahead for busy weeknights.
Josie Walker says:
so good give this one a try .👍🏻