Caramelized Sweet Onion Gravy
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Large sweet onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups veal or beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and the olive oil to a large skillet or cast iron pan. Add the onion and cook on medium heat until the onions have turned a light golden brown, about 45 minutes. Stir often.
- Move the onions to the edge of the pan and melt the second tablespoon of butter in the center. Add the flour and whisk until all the grains of flour are fully coated. Whisk in the stock until all lumps are gone and stir the onions back into the sauce.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and fresh thyme. Continue cooking and stirring until the sauce thickens, about another 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
A good butcher shop or gourmet store should carry veal stock.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
Really delicious! It went perfect with my meatloaf. I couldn't find veal stock, but used beef instead. Loved the flavor and consistency. It's definitely my go to.
Greg Jones says:
I made this gravy for meat and potatoes, it was wonderful. The veal stock really adds a great texture and rich flavor, compared to using beef.
Sam Dalton says:
This is a really good onion gravy recipe that is great to smother on beef, pork, and potatoes. The thyme and Worcestershire sauce is the perfect addition.