Chickpea, Broccoli Rabe, and Mushroom Soup with Coconut Broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, cut into thin coins
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, chopped
- 12 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes
- 3 pieces star anise
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, carrots, and garlic in hot oil until onions are slightly translucent, 3 to 4 minutes; add broccoli rabe and cremini mushrooms and sauté until broccoli rabe leaves are wilted, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Pour vegetable stock and coconut milk into the stockpot; add chickpeas, turmeric, fennel seeds, red chili pepper flakes, and star anise and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
You can substitute your favorite leafy greens for the broccoli rabe.
What others are saying
Elise Ballard says:
I love the spice combination in this soup, but I noticed it didn't call for salt. I seasoned mine with salt throughout the cooking and felt it was necessary to bring out the full flavor of the stew.
Aja A says:
This is a new favorite comfort soup. I couldn't wait to try this soup out. I will be making this more often during the fall/winter when it gets cold. It's a good alternative to your normal chicken soup recipe.