Chickpea, Broccoli Rabe, and Mushroom Soup with Coconut Broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, cut into thin coins
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, chopped
- 12 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes
- 3 pieces star anise
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, carrots, and garlic in hot oil until onions are slightly translucent, 3 to 4 minutes; add broccoli rabe and cremini mushrooms and sauté until broccoli rabe leaves are wilted, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Pour vegetable stock and coconut milk into the stockpot; add chickpeas, turmeric, fennel seeds, red chili pepper flakes, and star anise and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
You can substitute your favorite leafy greens for the broccoli rabe. Try chopped dino kale, Swiss chard or packed spinach instead. For a more filling meal, serve the soup with brown or basmati rice. Prep this warming soup on Sunday and enjoy all week long for lunch.
What others are saying
Elise Ballard says:
I love the spice combination in this soup, but I noticed it didn't call for salt. I seasoned mine with salt throughout the cooking and felt it was necessary to bring out the full flavor of the stew.
Aja A says:
This is a new favorite comfort soup. I couldn't wait to try this soup out. I will be making this more often during the fall/winter when it gets cold. It's a good alternative to your normal chicken soup recipe.