Spiralized Baked Hash Browns
- 1-½ pounds russet potatoes, well-scrubbed, unpeeled and spiralized using 2mm blade
- ½ medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- After running potatoes through the spiralizer, gently rinse in cold water to remove some of the excess starch. This will help ensure crispiness. Blot lightly with a paper towel to dry.
- Toss the potatoes with the onion, coconut oil, salt, and pepper. Make sure all the potatoes are thoroughly coated with oil and the onions are well distributed throughout. Transfer to a large baking pan and spread the mixture out as evenly as possible.
- Bake for a total cooking time of 45 minutes; rotate the pan every 15 minutes of cooking time and avoid stirring the potatoes. Bake until perfectly golden brown on top.
- Season with additional salt and serve immediately.
Substitute beets for half of the potatoes to make a brilliantly ruby red "flannel" hash. To preserve raw potatoes from discoloration, immerse in a container and cover with cold water and reserve in the refrigerator until use. Potatoes are best seasoned immediately after they are cooked.