Spiralized Baked Hash Browns
- 1-½ pounds russet potatoes, spiralized using 2mm blade
- ½ yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
For best results, we recommend using:
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Rinse potatoes in cold water to remove some of the excess starch; gently blot dry with a paper towel.
- Toss potatoes with onion, coconut oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl to coat; transfer to a large baking pan and spread into an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven, rotating pan every 15 minutes, golden brown on top, about 45 minutes; season with additional salt to serve.
Substitute beets for half of the potatoes to make a brilliantly ruby red "flannel" hash. To preserve raw potatoes from discoloration, immerse in a container and cover with cold water and reserve in the refrigerator until use. Potatoes are best seasoned immediately after they are cooked.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
I've been looking for a really good hash brown recipe and this is it! I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong before, but I realize now I was skipping the most important step - rinsing the potatoes. I used vegetable oil instead of coconut oil and baked it in a preheated cast iron skill. Impressed and my new go-to recipe for hash browns. Next time I want to try with sweet potatoes!
Aja A says:
A great basic recipe to put a fried egg over. If you love diner-style hash browns, you will quickly stay home and make these for yourself or for breakfast in bed for that special someone.