Carrot Noodles with Carrot-Top Pesto
- 1 cup carrot top leafy greens
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound carrots, spiralized using 5mm blade
For best results, we recommend using:
- Place the carrot tops, basil, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic and salt in food processor; process until a coarse paste forms. Slowly add 1/4 cup olive oil and lemon juice and process until combined.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in large non-stick skillet. Add the carrot noodles and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender-crisp, for 3 minutes.
- Toss the carrot noodles with ¼ cup of carrot-top pesto.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with additional pesto if desired.
This recipe makes about ½ cup carrot-top pesto. Use as you would traditional basil pesto, and store any left over in a sealed container in the refrigerator or freezer. Carrots with tops are getting easier and easier to find. Look for uncut carrots at your local farmers' markets, or check the produce section of your local supermarket.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
This was my first time using carrots as noodles, and all I can say is that I've seriously been missing out! What I loved most is that I was able to use the carrot top to make this pesto. The cheese and pine nuts gave the carrot-pesto great flavor! Such a quick, simple, and inexpensive way to enjoy carrots as a complete meal.
Jen the Mighty says:
Love, love, LOVE the idea to use carrot top greens for the pesto! What a wonderful and creative way to use the whole carrot!