Easy Matcha Cookies
- 1/2 teaspoon butter or as needed
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup fine sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark rye flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a baking sheet with ½ teaspoon butter.
- Beat 4 ounces butter in a stand mixer on Medium until softened, about 30 seconds; add brown sugar and fine sugar and continue mixing for about 2 minutes. Beat egg and vanilla extract into the butter mixture for about 1 minute.
- Sift rye flour, all-purpose flour, matcha powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; gradually add to the butter mixture while beating on Medium until a dough comes together.
- Divide and roll dough into 16 balls and flatten them until they look like discs; arrange onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
You may substitute other whole-grain flours if you can’t find dark rye flour. If you prefer to add a little sweetness, roll the cookies in sugar before flattening them into discs. For even more matcha flavor, sandwich the cookies around a scoop of green tea ice cream!
What others are saying
Alexander Amen says:
it tasted surprisly good compared what i saw the picture it tasted great