Chicken Apple Sausage Frittata with Broccoli and Mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head broccoli, stems removed and florets cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 links fresh chicken apple sausage, removed from casing
- 6 eggs
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Preheat the broiler to high with the rack set six inches away from the heat source.
- Beat together the eggs, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl until a cohesive canary-yellow color. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a oven-proof pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Reduce heat to medium; add the broccoli and a pinch of salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is a vibrant green color and has started to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the sausage, breaking it up and stirring with a wooden spoon, until almost no pink remains, about 2 minutes.
- Spread out the ingredients evenly in the pan. Pour the egg over it evenly. Continue cooking, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon until loose curds form, about 2 minutes.
- Spread the cheese evenly on top. Transfer to the broiler, and cook until the top is firm and lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with the basil, and serve in the pan or allow it to cool slightly, loosen edges with a spatula and quickly flip onto a large serving plate.
This dish is fabulous in a cast-iron pan. Swap spicy Italian sausage for a dish with more kick.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
This is one of my favorite breakfast / brunch dishes. Not that I needed another reason to love cheesy eggs for breakfast, the chicken apple sausage really sealed the deal for me. So good!
Jessica Scott says:
This was a hearty, delicious egg and sausage breakfast. The mozzarella cheese was a bit heavy for me so next time I'll go light on the amount I use. My husband on the other hand loved all the cheese!