Creamy Roasted Vegetable Soup
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded. and cut into chunks
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Toss potatoes, squash, onion, and cauliflower with olive oil in a bowl to coat; spread into prepared baking dish.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, turn the vegetables, and continue roasting until tender, about 20 minutes more.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic in butter until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir flour into the butter with a whisk until all flour is moistened. Stream stock into the pot while whisking; add the roasted vegetables, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, cover the pot, and reduce heat to low. Simmer soup for 30 minutes.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender to desired texture. Stir milk into the soup. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the soup to serve.
For a dairy-free version, make a few substitutions: swap the butter for olive oil, use unsweetened almond milk in place of the milk and omit the Parmesan cheese. As an alternative, purée the cooked soup with 1/2 cup silken tofu for added creaminess without adding dairy.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
I've always loved vegetable soup, but this creamy version with roasted vegetables gives me life! I love the flavors that come out when the vegetables are roasted. This soup is really easy to make, and it's so delicious!
Jen the Mighty says:
This is a good vegetable soup, but I think I could add some leeks and mushrooms and feel even more satisfied with it. As it is, very solid with good flavor.