Summer Rhubarb Pound Cake
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 stalks rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C). Butter and flour 2 loaf pans.
- Beat butter and cream cheese together in a bowl until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, 2 minutes.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Beat in lemon juice, vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
- Sift cake flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture until batter is just combined. Fold rhubarb into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean, about 70 minutes. Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For a different twist, use almond extract instead of vanilla.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
My wife and I really love this summer rhubarb pound pound cake, it's so full of flavor. I love the hints of vanilla, classic. This one of those desserts that are nice for special occasions. We love to enjoy ours with a tall class of Southern sweet tea.
Jen the Mighty says:
Cream cheese, butter, and rhubarb are the stars of this pound cake. Rhubarb is the taste of summer for me, and once I get my first harvest I make this pound cake first. The cream cheese gives a lighter texture that is amazing and a perfect complement to the tart rhubarb. Lemon zest highlights the tart notes but doesn't take it too far. Serve this one with some vanilla or pistachio ice cream for a special treat!