Vegetable Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce
- 1 (5 ounce) package cellophane noodles
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- ¼ teaspoon molasses
- 8 rice paper rounds
- 4 carrots, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into long, thin strips
- ½ cup loosely packed chopped cilantro leaves
- Put cellophane noodles in a large glass bowl with enough hot water to cover completely; soak until softened, about 20 minutes; drain.
- While the noodles soak, stir the peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice, agave nectar, fish sauce, garlic, and molasses together in a bowl until smooth.
- Soak a rice paper round in a wide bowl of warm water until softened, about 5 to 10 seconds. Stretch the round out onto a clean, flat work surface.
- Arrange carrots, pepper, cilantro, and noodles in a row across the center of the sheet. Fold uncovered sides of the rice paper inward and tightly roll around the filling. Repeat process with remaining ingredients and serve with the peanut sauce.
To make these vegan, substitute soy sauce for the fish sauce.
What others are saying
Tiana D. says:
I really didn't think I could pull these off! I have had a few Asian food failures in my past and was a little scared to try again. I stuck exactly to the recipe because smart substitutions have already been made (agave syrup rather than other sweetener). These were so delicious I didn't want to share! Will definitely make again
Randall Hauk says:
Full disclosure: I poached some shrimp and added them to the rolls. I love spring rolls. I am not sure why the gimmick of them will get my boys to eat food at which they'd otherwise scoff, but they will. Might have to start putting everything in rice paper wrappers. You can probably riff a bit on the rolls themselves. The star of this recipe is the dipping sauce. It's pretty good. Just go for it. The flavor is way more than you'd think from reading the ingredients list. Trust me.
Caro Hodgin says:
THIS SAUCE! Even if you're too intimidated to make the spring rolls, make this sauce and just dip everything in sight into it! Veggies, chicken kebabs, your fingers! Seriously, so delicious. I didn't have molasses so I omitted completely and had no issues.