Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy Barbeque Chicken
- 1½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups sweet barbeque sauce
- ¼ cup sliced yellow onion
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 3 ounces tomato paste
For best results, we recommend using:
- Lay chicken into the bottom of the crock of a slow cooker. Pour broth over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 hours.
- Pour barbeque sauce into the pot; add onion, jalapeño pepper, paprika, salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Cover and cook on High for 1 hour more.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board. Shred into strands with two forks. Return chicken to the crock and stir to mix with the liquid; add tomato paste and stir until smooth.
- Cook until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour.
Optional accompaniments: tortillas, cheese, salsa, cilantro, onions.
Stir in some chopped fresh cilantro before serving for nice fresh flavor.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
I really enjoyed this recipe! I made sandwiches with this recipe and it was incredible. Next time I might try using the chicken on pizza and topping with cilantro. I also love the quick and easy cleanup thanks to the slow cooker.
Aja A says:
Great recipe! The chicken was juicy and tender with a nice balance of heat. Will continue to make this again when I just want to pull out the slow cooker and multitask for a few hours.