Sweet and Spicy BBQ Pulled Chicken
- 1½ pound, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups any sweet BBQ sauce that you love
- 2 ounces yellow onion, sliced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- Optional: tortillas, cheese, salsa, cilantro, onions
- Lay chicken into the bottom of the crock of a slow cooker. Pour broth over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 hours.
- Pour barbeque sauce over the chicken; add onion, jalapeño pepper, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on High for 1 hour more.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board. Shred into strands with two forks. Return chicken to the crock and stir to mix with the liquid; add tomato paste and stir until smooth.
- Cook until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour.
Stir in some chopped fresh cilantro before serving for nice fresh flavor.
What others are saying
Aja A says:
Great recipe! The chicken was juicy and tender with a nice balance of heat. Will continue to make this again when I just want to pull out the slow cooker and multitask for a few hours.