Chicken Kebab with Shishito Peppers
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into thirds
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 cups shishito peppers
- 4 toasted pitas
- tzatziki sauce
- Mix the tomato paste, garlic, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Press the chicken onto 3 skewers and let sit for 15 minutes to marinate at room temperature.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons oil in a large pan over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the chicken; cook until browned and lightly charred on all sides, turning occasionally until cooked through (meat is no longer pink in the center and juices run clear), about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, finish with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and let rest.
- Wipe out the pan; heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the peppers and a generous pinch of salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the skins have blistered and browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Finish with lemon juice and pinch of salt.
- Serve chicken skewers on pitas with the roasted peppers and tzatziki sauce or remove meat from skewers before serving.
Cutting the chicken into smaller pieces lets you skewer them easily and cook more evenly. If your pan isn’t big enough to fit the skewers, cook them under the broiler set on high, about six inches from the heat source. Serve the skewers and peppers with hummus for a different flavor combination.
What others are saying
Greg Jones says:
Loved the chicken in this dish, it was incredible. We used thighs and they were really tender. The shishito peppers were a nice complement too.
Sam Dalton says:
This chicken kebab is very flavorful and tastes just like what I would order at my favorite Lebanese restaurant. We served the chicken and peppers over rice. Very good, quick dinner.