Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Red Onion and Tahini Yogurt
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into ¼-inch-thick planks
- 1 large red onion, cut into ½-inch-thick planks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C).
- Toss the sweet potatoes and red onion together in a large bowl; add , olive oil 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and toss to coat. Spread the potatoes and onions out onto a large rimmed baking sheet so that they are not overlapping.
- Roast in preheated oven until browned and soft, but not yet mushy, 30 to 35 minutes.
- While the vegetables roast, beat the yogurt, tahini, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper. and warm water together with a whisk in a small bowl until smooth. If the tahini-yogurt is not pourable, thin with additions of 1 teaspoon warm water until it is.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes and onions to a serving platter. Drizzle several tablespoons of tahini-yogurt over the vegetables; garnish with parsley and serve with extra tahini-yogurt on the side.
Stir lemon juice instead of water into your tahini yogurt for a zippy flavor boost. You could even add this dish into your Thanksgiving side dish line-up for an interesting twist on traditional holiday recipes!
What others are saying
Caro Hodgin says:
yum! this is such an interesting, cool way to prepare sweet potatoes. i love tahini and am always looking for more recipes! this tahini yogurt sauce is delicious.
Katie Hason says:
I tried making this dish and it was so easy! I also really enjoyed the tahini yogurt. I used lemon juice instead of water, it was delicious! I love how versatile sweet potatoes are, this is now truly a favorite.