Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Chicken Sausage
- 8 ounces orecchiette pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 chicken sausage links, cut into ⅛-inch-thick slices
- ¾ pound Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente, 9 to 12 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of pasta-cooking water and drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry the sausage in hot oil until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir Brussels sprouts with the sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add a splash of the reserved pasta water if the leaves begin to stick to the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir the orecchiette pasta, lemon zest, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, and ½ cup of the reserved water with the sprouts; cook until the cheese melts into a creamy sauce. Thin sauce with additional pasta water as needed.
Skip the pasta and cheese and triple the amount of Brussels sprouts to drop the carbs and dairy while maintaining the great flavors. You can also swap chopped kale or spinach for the Brussels sprouts and your favorite lean protein for the chicken sausage.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
I'm loving the glorious comeback that Brussels sprouts have been making in the past few years! It means they are easier to find in the store and I can find more and more interesting recipes featuring this tiny delicious cabbage. This recipe doesn't disappoint! Orecchiette pasta and the sausage are great with the sprouts and who doesn't love a cup of fresh Parmesan?! Fabulous.
Jessica Taylor says:
This was a great simple yet flavorful meal. Easy and quick recipie for a weeknight. 10/10 would make again.
Sheila Long says:
Really good recipe! All of my favorite ingredients (pasta, brussels sprouts, and chicken sausage). I did shaved parmesan instead of grated, and it was perfect.
Sarah Gray says:
I used ground chicken instead of sausage. Such a delicious recipe, especially the lemon parmesan sauce. It was so good! I also added a little garlic too.
Jeremy Hughes says:
I skipped the Brussels sprouts and just did pasta with the chicken sausage and creamy lemon sauce. Very delicious.