- Italian Spice Mix
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 12 small portobello mushroom caps
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons diced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons diced black olives
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix the oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, and sage together in a small bowl.
- Arrange mushroom caps in a single layer into a large baking dish with the rounded side down.
- Spread about 1¼ tablespoons pizza sauce onto each cap. Sprinkle bell pepper, onion, and olives over the sauce; top with mozzarella cheese, red pepper flakes, and ½ teaspoon of the Italian spice mix (store remainder in an airtight container for other uses).
- Roast in preheated oven until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese is melted, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Garnish caps with fresh basil to serve.
Get your kids engaged in the cooking process by allowing them to make their own ‘pizza’ with their favorite toppings. Children are often more willing to try new things when they’ve had a hand in preparing the meal! Add kid-friendly toppings like chopped pepperoni and cooked Italian sausage if you like.
What others are saying
Aja A says:
This gluten-free alternative is amazing! You can make these for a party of for yourself coming home after a long day of work. These cheesy delights are enjoyed best by itself.
Alyx Leigh says:
Made this for our kickoff party this week and invited my son's football team over and they mowed through them. Husband says it needs some sausage but I think the veggie version is awesome. Its so easy to modify that you could really put any of your favorite toppings on!
ThisDude LovesFood says:
These little pizza-stuffed mushrooms was such a great treat, I couldn't stop eating them. I would totally add some meat to bring up to the next level. Overall a great and simple recipe that packs a punch.
Steve Failows says:
I threw some sausage in there and they were hit at last game night. Fun way to get more veggies in your meal and it just tastes great.
Tal Levitas says:
I made these with onions, cooked chicken, and olives as my toppings. They turned out great. Definitely would make these as a dinner party appetizer. I think next time I'll mix in blue cheese with the mozzarella for a sharper flavor overall. That said, be careful when they come out of the oven, I almost burned my tongue on the pizza sauce!