Cauliflower Mashed 'Potatoes'
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 slices turkey bacon
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced chives, divided
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Bring a pot of water to a boil; cook cauliflower florets at a boil until tender, about 10 minutes; drain.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium; fry bacon in skillet until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plated to cool, reserving bacon drippings in the pan. Crumble or chop the bacon.
- Return the skillet with reserved bacon drippings to medium heat. Sauté the garlic in the drippings until browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Blend the cauliflower, 1 tablespoon bacon, garlic, Parmesan cheese, cottage cheese, parsley, half the chives in a high-speed blender until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer blended mixture to a serving bowl. Drizzle butter over the cauliflower and garnish with remaining bacon and chives.
Try different toppings or mix-ins with the mashed cauliflower. Swap the cottage cheese for creamy ricotta or mascarpone. Sprinkle with crispy onions, chopped green onions, grated cheddar cheese, crumbled pork or vegan chorizo, or a dollop of Greek yogurt.
What others are saying
Tereza Kazanjian says:
I left off the parsley and the chives just because I forgot to buy them and I don't miss them at all. I used regular bacon (precooked, just warmed up) and I was so surprised at the yummy taste of this dish! Was easy and quick and I will make again!
Melissa Hunter says:
Instead of blending the turkey bacon together with the cauliflower, I just added chopped bacon for topping. The cottage cheese gives it a really creamy consistency, which I love. For best results, definitely use a high speed blender. I found that using a regular blender leaves some chunks.
Aja A says:
Making mashed "potatoes" out of cauliflower is my favorite way to eat this vegetable. Normally, I would just add butter, cream cheese, and Parmesan to it, but this recipe give you a more filling alternative. I liked the turkey bacon, but will stick to low-sodium bacon from here on out; cause I love bacon so much. Liked the cottage cheese in here. It good that I can use it for other recipes as I usually just eat a spoonful or two per day when I have food cravings during meals.
Queen Foodie says:
I really enjoyed this recipe. If you close your eyes 👀 it does tastes very close to mashed potatoes. I'd never used cottage cheese in my cauliflower mash. That was a nice twist.
Steve Failows says:
The chives and parsley give this an herb-y taste, perfect for anyone not that into cauliflower flavor. The butter and bacon are also a must. The texture came out very smooth, tasted great.
Tarragon Boi says:
This recipe is awesome. I'm considering going on a ketogenic diet, and I've been trying low-carb high-fat high-protein recipes over the past few weeks. Some cauliflower substitute recipes still taste like cauliflower, but I swear that I couldn't tell the difference between this and mashed potatoes.