Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Tacos
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 (1.3 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 8 tortillas
For best results, we recommend using:
- Combine chicken stock, garlic, taco seasoning, tomato paste, salt, bay leaves and chicken in the crock of a slow cooker. Spread evenly over the bottom of the crock.
- Cook on High until chicken is tender enough to shred easily with a pair of forks, 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts to a cutting board and shred. Remove and discard the garlic and bay leaves. Return shredded chicken to the liquid and stir to coat.
- Build tacos by adding several tablespoons of chicken to a tortilla and adding desired toppings.
Optional toppings: pico de gallo, avocado slices, sliced radishes, pickled red onions, Cotija cheese, cabbage, and cilantro.
This pulled chicken is perfect for leftovers. It can be stored in the refrigerator for three to four days. Use to fill burritos and quesadillas or to top a mound of nachos.
What others are saying
Aja A says:
Gotta love a recipe that just have you put all of the ingredients in your slow cooker and turn it on to wait for the magic to happen. I bought only 2 chicken breasts and I still have plenty of leftovers after my friend and I tried to devour as much as we could. If you can find already made pickled red onions (or make your own), this with some sprinkled on cotija cheese is a winner.
Steve Failows says:
with pico de gallo and a salsa verde these are a delight - I'd recommend tearing up the chicken with a pair of forks a little longer than you might think. When the chicken pieces are smaller it's easier to serve and not fall apart while eating.
Aaron Johnson II says:
I would recommend using 1/2-3/4 cup broth 1 cup was way to much but very good could only put a spoon full of juice on the chicken with 1 cup couldn’t mix it back in pot